'Raksha' is the pain and palliative care centre that provides hospice care to terminally ill cancer patients. It was inaugurated in 2001 and has been providing this humanitarian service since its inception, totally free of cost. It is the only one of its kind in Coimbatore and one of the few centres in the whole of India. It is situated close to the main hospital in a tranquil and harmonious environment, with dedicated medical personnel.
What is Hospice care?
A hospice is a home for the terminally ill patients.Hospice care/Palliative care is the active total care of the patient and their families by a multi-professional team at a time when the patient's disease is no longer responsive to curative treatment and life expectancy is relatively short. All Services offered in Raksha are free.
What is Palliative Care ?
- Affirms life and regards dying as a normal process.
- Does not aim at prolonging a life by adding more days into it but aims at adding good quality of life into their remaining days. (Puts life into their days and not days into their life).
- Does not shorten their life.
- Provide relief from pain and other distressing symptoms.
- Integrates psychological, social and spiritual aspects of care, so that the patients may come to terms with their own death as fully and constructively as they can. Offers a support system to help patient live as actively and creatively as possible until death.
- Offers a support system to help families cope during the patient's illness and in bereavement.
- To provide the best possible palliative care to persons with terminal cancer illness.
- To increase the awareness of hospice services in the community.