Patient's Responsibilities :
- Be honest with medical authorities while informing about the present illness, past history/ hospitalization in some other medical centre if any , and any other matter relating to your health that helps in better treatment
- Respect the rights of other patients.
- Respect the rights of all the categories of hospital employees and hospital authorities.
- Conserve water and electricity.
- It is the responsibility of the patient and family to restrict the number of visitors and follow the visitors time schedule of the hospital and in regard to visiting hours to Intensive Care /Post operative care units etc.
- It is the responsibility of the the patient to tell if he/she does not understand any thing concerning their health and is unable to follow the given instructions.
- It is the responsibility of the patient not to smoke inside the hospital premises and observe and abide by other rules of the hospital.
- It is the patient's responsibility to follow the plan of treatment established by the treating consultant.
- It is the responsibility of the patient to maintain silence and not to disturb others inside the hospital premises.
- It is the patient and the family's responsibility to keep the hospital clean. They are advised not to litter with waste paper,food packages,leaves etc and not to throw anything into water closets, which may block the drainage.
- The patient /family are advised not to bring any costly valuables to the hospital. It is the responsibility of the patient and the family to keep their personal belongings safely under their custody. The hospital will not be responsible for the safety of the patient's valuables and money.
- It is the responsibility of the patient to follow the security rules of the hospital.
- It is the responsibility of the patient to take the diet provided by the hospital.
- In case patient is already taking any drugs /medicines, it is the responsibility of the patient to inform the consultant.
- Patient/ relatives are expected not to entertain any tips/gifts to the hospital employees.
Recommendations for Patient Safety :
Get to know the names of your health care providers, participate in your healthcare plan and do not hesitate to ask any questions.
To avoid Identification Errors:
- Ensure your name and other details have been documented correctly in the care record and the ID band.
- Wear your ID band at all times. If it comes off, inform the nursing staff who will replace it.
- Ensure your health care provider checks the ID band prior to any procedure, investigation or medication administration.
To avoid Medication Errors :
- Inform the Doctor if you are allergic to any drug.
- Ask for information regarding the medications prescribed to you, their adverse effects, interaction with food and the time and manner they are to be taken
- Inform the Doctor about your regular medications.
- At the time of discharge, ensure a medication reconciliation has been done and familiarize yourself with the medication prescribed.
To reduce the Risk of Infection :
- Hand washing is the best way to prevent infection. Adopt it.
- Remind your health care team to wash their hands before every examination.
- Limit the number of your visitors.
To Prevent Patient Falls :
- Orient yourself to the surroundings.
- Inform the Staff if you feel unsteady.
- Keep the call bell if provided within reach.
- Call for help when you need to use the rest room.
- Wear foot wear with non slip soles
- Ensure illumination is adequate, keep your glasses within reach.
- While getting up, sit up slowly. Put your feet on the floor and if you feel unsteady or weak call for assistance .